Tuesday, 17 February 2009

Veggie Books: Thin Blue Smoke

This book made me want to visit Kansas City just to eat the barbecue. But the veggies sound great too:

Smoke Meat does serve beans, but not barbecue beans the way most people think of them, which is navy beans, baked in brown sugar and barbecue sauce, with bits of brisket tossed in. For that reason, LaVerne doesn't call his beans 'barbecue beans'. He calls them 'beans'. The recipe is straightforward: pinto beans cooked with chopped onions and jalapeno peppers, enormous amounts of garlic, way too much salt, and a pinch of cumin. Just the way LaVerne's grandmother made them down in Plum Grove, Texas.

I wanna eat these beans.

This book demonstrates what I've been blogging about for a while now. Food makes things real, grounded, and I like the real in books, particularly when it then bangs up against the surreal. Doug Worgul does this so well, with the giant snapping turtle and the Watership Down fixation stories that enliven a very real series of characters and stories.

This book is exactly my kind of book. I love it.

2 comments:

Doug Worgul said...

Thank you, Aliya. Coming from you, such gracious and insightful words mean so much more. I'm deeply grateful.

doug worgul

David Isaak said...

Alas, my copy is Still In The Mail Somewhere. But I'm looking forward to it. Even though I'm a vegetarian.