Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Veggiebooks: What was I scared of?


It's been a good while since I did a veggiebook post, but whilst reading to the sick scratchy Munchie I came across a story that's long been a favourite of mine, and is now a favourite of hers. I had forgotten that a vegetable was involved. Okay, it's not a pivotal role in the story, but it's there, and it gives me the opportunity to quote Dr Seuss, so let's do it.

In The Sneetches and Other Stories, you get the star-bellied Sneetches. You get the North-going Zax and the South-going Zax. You get Mrs McCabe, who named all her sons Dave. And, finally, you get to the best story in the collection, to my mind - What Was I Scared Of?

You're out walking at night, because you're not the nervous kind, and suddenly, there they are.

A pair of pale green pants with nobody inside.

This might be funnier for UK children, because they're all picturing floating Y-fronts, but the pictures show us floating trousers, and that's pretty good too.

It's a scary experience. You run home. But there comes a time when you must leave the house again....


Well, the person and the pants continue to bump into each other until things reach a climax and we discover... I won't spoil it, in case you don't know it. But how could you not know it? It's an absolute classic. Still.

By the way, Dr Seuss, and particular his take on things you find in the park in the dark, influenced my poem on Resident Evil that will be published in Coin Opera 2 at some point. I'll let you know more details when I have them.



No comments: