Wednesday 16 April 2008

Lists and favourites

Reasons I write that sound like cryptic crossword clues:

  1. Masochistic tendency enjoys courting constant rejection
  2. Too much un-used ink in the world
  3. Large and not entirely stable ego

Two rubbish sentiments often spouted by writers:

I don’t tell the story, the characters do. I just give them the means to do it. (Forgive me, anyone who believes this is clinically insane.)

  1. I don’t read much fiction anymore. I’m too busy

Favourite book

I know sensible people steer clear of breaking things down into numbered lists such as the above and having favourite things. I don’t think I’ve got a particular favourite anything else, but I do have a favourite book and I think it’s unlikely to be toppled from its pedestal any time soon. The book is Riddley Walker, by Russell Hoban. It’s not for everyone. For a start it’s written in a broken down and re-constructed version of English and is set in post-apocalypse Kent. But if you’re reading this blog, you’ll probably quite enjoy it. More people should read it. Go, go buy it.

3 comments:

no said...

Yes, 'tis a great book.

And where are you keeping this apparently enormous ego? I haven't seen it anywhere.

David Isaak said...

"Forgive me, anyone who believes this is clinically insane."

Well, I think most writers of fiction do suffer from something akin to Multiple Personality Disorder. And I know for a fact that many hear voices in their heads...

Unknown said...

It's well hidden, beneath the veneer of self-pity.