Wednesday 18 March 2009

Flowers and other emotions

I don't read much poetry really, but the other day I read Wendy Cope's Flowers, and it made me come over a bit peculiar.

Possibly a somewhat obvious observation, but I suppose poetry is less about the reader's relationship with the writer (character, plot, narrative voice) and more about the reader's relationship with subject of the poem.

Over on the MNW blog, LC Tyler asked what endings of novels had made people cry. I reckon the emotions generated by books and film are in the main sympathetic ones, whereas the emotions stimulated by poems are perhaps more personal.

These questions and more were probably answered in a BBC4 documentary about the physiological and psychological impacts of fiction-reading that aired a while back, but I missed it. So I'm making all this up. Am I wrong?

No comments: